03/11/2012

ONCE UPON A TIME: THOUGHTS ON EPISODE 2X05

Hi everyone, here is a “nocturnal” post.

I’ve just seen episode 2x05 of Once Upon a Time and I needed to write about it. First of all, there are going to be spoilers in this post so …

SPOILER ALERT!!

The episode was called “The Doctor” and it was mainly about Regina, who is definitely my favorite character of OUAT; the doctor of the title was revealed to be Dr. Frankenstein, with a final twist that (although expected) made us realize that we are no longer “confined” to the world of fairytales, but that there are many other possible worlds where new characters could come from.

Frankenstein was present both in the past world than in Storybrooke, and he was there to help Regina. As we know from Season 1, the Queen turned into Evil because she lost her true love, Daniel, who was killed by her mother. She could never really accept the death of his fiancée, and that’s why she seeks the help of Victor to make him live again. If in the fairytales world Dr. Frankenstein doesn’t seem (because we’ll find out it’s not like that) to be able to do that, in Storybrooke his powers make Daniel come back from the dead.

What isn’t good about it is that Daniel is actually a “monster” (with a clear reference to the future “creature” made by Victor) and goes around hurting people. He doesn’t even seem to recognize Regina and, apart from a few seconds of conscience where he tells her to “let him leave”, he’s a completely different man from the one the Queen loved. It is then her who has to let him go, and she finally uses her magic to kill him a second time and “make his pain stops”.

I really liked this episode, and the reasons are many. As I said, Regina is my favorite character and since I saw episode 1x18 (“The Stable Boy”) I had been dying to know whether the authors were going to bring Daniel back or not. As a “Regina-lover” I was hoping she could have a happy ending and be reunited with her true love once again, so I was very disappointed when I realized that was not the case in this episode, and that what I dreamed of was never going to happen.

However, I thought this episode was very good because it made me think about how hard it is to let a person go, when this person no longer is physically with us. The strength with which Regina held on to Daniel (symbolized by her “freezing his body”) exemplified how hard we try to keep the people we love with us, especially when they are dead. I think this could be the case even of a post break-up, or when you fight with someone, but for me this episode was all about letting our beloved ones go once they die. I personally still struggle with this, I can’t bear the idea of not seeing the people I lost anymore: I still think (irrationally) that they will come back someday, sometimes, so I can totally understand the pain Regina felt when she had Daniel in front of her and she had to let him go.

This was mentioned even by Rumple when he was teaching magic to Regina and he told her she was never going to learn because she was too attached to her past, and that it was her past that was holding her back. Of course I know that it was meant to make her become “evil”, but I felt the general idea was closer to what I think. In my opinion we are so attached to our past that it makes impossible for us to go on, to move on: I sometimes feel I can’t get rid of previous feelings and that those stop me, they don’t completely allow me to live my life. On the contrary I also think some of these feelings are necessary to be who we are, and without the experiences we had we wouldn’t be the same.

I like OUAT, and even though sometimes you may think it’s “crazy” or too confused, then it pays with interesting moments that allow you to think and make realizations. I loved this episode for what it made me realize and reflect upon, however it also made me very sad about Regina’s story. I believe in happy endings, I have a need for happy endings and realizing that this was not going to happen for her hurt me, because it felt too close to real life (and to what usually happens to people).
 
Here is a beautiful and very sad video I found about Regina and Daniel (and, as if it wasn't clear already, I think Lana Parrilla is an amazing and very talented actress!!)
 

I still hope there will be love and happiness in Regina’s life though!!

What do you think? Do you agree with me or do you I think I over thought this? J

Have a goodnight!

H.

No comments: