12/01/2013

30 ROCK: 7X09 AND TEARS START RUNNING DOWN

Here I am again! I know, two posts the same day..what a surprise!
The thing is, I have just seen the new 30 Rock episode and I had to talk about it!!

First of all, let me remind to those of you who don’t know it yet (I hope just a few!) that we only have 4 episodes left before the end of 30 rock.
4 EPISODE PEOPLE!

And not to a simple season finale, but to a series finale!!Only 4 episodes and then 30 Rock will end: I still have to process this information.
I love this show very much: I have watched it in just 2 months, completely plunging into this story. I fell in love with Liz Lemon and I felt a deep connection to her: “WWLLD” (“what would Liz Lemon do?”) has been one of my mottos since then, and you can imagine my excitement when Tracy literally pronounced this expression in Thursday’s episode. I consider Jack Donaghy a great character and even though he sometimes is “too much to be real”, I love his relationship with Liz. I don’t want to write a eulogy right now because, as I previously said, this is not the end yet. I just wanted to explain my attachment to this show to give you an idea of how I felt watching “Game Over” (7x09) last night.

Why was I so emotional if the episode wasn’t?

SPOILER ALERT!!

It’s easy to explain: it had been a while since the last time we had so many guest stars in the show, all together. We had a story that involved Hank Hooper (Ken Howard), Devon Banks (Will Arnett), Kaylie Hooper (Chloe Moretz), Len Wosniak (Steve Buscemi) and Bev (Megan Mullally). If you have watched 30 Rock you can easily recall where we previously met these characters, thus knowing how the episode was particularly “full”.


 
The reason behind all this is quite clear: 30 Rock is approaching its end, and this is its way to say goodbye to all the wonderful people that were part of it. Emblematic was the case of Dr. Leo Spaceman: I never really liked his character but, ehi, listening to him saying “That’s a series wrap for Leo Spaceman suckers!” made me sad.


I liked the episode as a whole, as I said it was “full”, however this anxiety of saying goodbye to everyone reduced the screen time for Liz and we didn’t see much of her interaction with Jack either. I hope this was just one episode, and that this way of proceeding won’t affect the other 4: I wouldn’t like the Jack/Liz “thing” to be sacrificed right at the end.

Just a consideration though: Liz decides she wants to adopt a child, but we see no Criss during the episode, not even once. Shouldn’t she decide those things with her husband? Or at least with Jack?

I also have to mention Octavia Spencer who played an exaggerated version of herself,who was basically a female version of Tracy Morgan :)

Well, - 4 to the end..how will I cope with that?

(*still hoping for Jack and Liz to end up together*)

In the meantime, let's all watch the whole cast being interviewed by Jimmy Fallon on January the 10th.





Thank you for listening and stay tuned!
H.

No comments: