19/01/2013

30 ROCK: FOCUS ON 7X10 (OR "TINA FEY DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KILL ME?")

Hello!
So as promised (did I promise that? I’m not sure) I’m going to talk about 30 Rock.

SPOILER ALERT!!

As we all know the show is ending in 2 weeks (that’s right folks, the finale is going to be a one hour episode) and the writers are doing their best to wrap up the story.
In this episode (7x10,“Florida”), Jack and Liz go to Colleen’s estate to organize her things after her death.
This leads to a weird discovery for Jack: not only was his mother actually a funny and nice person (“Mrs. Silly”!!), but she was also a lesbian. This makes Jack think about himself and his happiness, which he's not sure he has ever had. *
In New York, Tracy and Jenna are in charge of TGS while Liz and Pete are away, and we all know that from this can come no good (no surprise, right?). However, things seem to go pretty smoothly, until we find out that Hazel has reported her previous employers to have had wrong behaviors towards her; to avoid the scandal, everyone has to sign a document where they deny any of that of ever happening.
Unfortunately, Kenneth can’t lie, so this leads to the saddest ending ever (seriously,I've neved felt so sad at the end of a 30 Rock episode before): Hank Hooper, who doesn’t like scandals, decides to cancel TGS as his final CEO act, and we find out that “next Friday” will be its final show.



NOW LET’S ALL TAKE A MOMENT TO THINK ABOUT THAT.

TGS has been cancelled.
30 Rock is ending.

I should have figured that out before, after all the show is ending too…but how cruel is that? Moreover, the news arrives right after Liz has found out she is going to adopt two kids (again, where was Chriss?), and her facial expression sums up mine too.


What is going to happen now?What is Liz going to do after?Will she still be happy even without TGS? Are Jack and Liz going to be separated in the end? :(

However, the best part of the episode was, in my opinion, the Jack/Liz scene in the bed, at Colleen’s house.
I know, I’ve been dreaming of them to get together since the beginning of the show and I confess that the promo had led me to think that something was actually going to happen.
As I should have known better though, nothing happened; anyway, Jack and Liz finally talked about their relationship, in a way that I can’t help to think was Tina’s way to answer and somehow please everyone that has been shipping them for all these years.

They talked about their "chemistry", the fact that nothing ever happened because their friendship is more important and not because any of them has any kind of "problem" (I definitely think that, for Jack, Liz is not ugly, he just sees her as a little sister); it was especially cute to see Liz trying to understand why Jack never actually tried to seduce her, because “he’s kind of a slut”. **

I still think there’s a lot they could have talked about and I’m not completely satisfied with the answer they came up with either, but I appreciated that they had that chat and I honestly saw that as something “for us” hopeless shippers.


In my dream/post 30 Rock-ending world Liz realizes she wants to spend the rest of her life with Jack and so, after some years of marriage, she just comes back to him; after all Liz and Chriss got married mainly because of her wanting to adopt kids. In the meantime I’ll accept this sort of “acknowledgement” Jack and Liz made in Florida, even if nobody will ever make me think that they are not soulmates.

( hands!!<3 )

* About that, I think Jack won't end up alone: I read that both Julianne Moore and Salma Hayek will be back for the series finale, so that has to mean something. To be honest I would prefer Jack to end up with Nancy (Julianne Moore), because I liked them as a couple, I thought they were cute (Liz excluded, of course).


So if that is the case,I would be kinda happy. But no Salma Hayek please!Never liked her nor her character.

** I thought the entire dialogue was super cute, but there was this part which I really loved. Since I don't know how to make gifs I will just post here the link to a tumblr I found on the Internet. (I hope that's ok with the author, I wouldn't know how else to quote him/her).

Liz: "Did nothing ever happen between us because I'm not fun?"
Jack: "Good God Lemon. Obviously our relationship, however you define it ... mentor/mentee.."
Liz: "Sister-ployee/work oracle"
Jack: "..is more interesting than some dating scenario. And obviously to ruin what we have with a tawdry yet expert sexual encounter would have been a mistake".

UPDATE!
Here is the entire scene, I found it on YouTube..enjoy!



Well thank Tina, at least  you tried to satisfy us too :)


- 3 guys, and that is going to be SAD.

Thank you for listening and stay tuned!
H.

No comments: