27/12/2012

SMASH!

Hi everyone!! How was your Christmas?

Here is my present for you: as I previously told you, I started watching Smash and I have already finished it!!I loved it!!

I started watching it because I read it was about Broadway and given the fact that I love musical theatre I thought I could like it..and I was right!!

Smash is the story of a company creating a musical about Marilyn Monroe: everything starts with Tom (Christian Borle) and Julia (Debra Messing), respectively a composer and a songwriter, having an idea for this new musical.
They quickly convince the director Derek (Jack Davenport) and the producer Eileen (Angelica Huston) to get on board and they start casting people for the parts.
It is clear from the beginning that the choice will be between Ivy (Megan Hilty) and Karen (Katharine McPhee).

However, there's so much more than that in Smash.
First of all we can see how a musical is created, starting from the very beginning, understanding how everything works and how hard the world of theatre can be.
Every character is well portrayed and we can't help but liking them all, even those who are not protagonist (Dev, Michael, Nick, Frank, Leo and all the others).
Plus, the show does have some great guest stars, like Uma Thurman!

Personally I loved the fact that they created original songs for the show: apart from some known songs that sometimes we listen to, everything that is part of "Bombshell" (that's the title of the musical) is original.
Every song is just amazing!
My favourites are "Let Me Be Your Star" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", here are the videos.

Let Me Be Your Star


Mr. and Mrs. Smith


The two leading ladies are both amazing, Megan Hilty is perfect in her portrayal of Marilyn and Katharine McPhee has an amazing voice!Her rendition of "Shake it out" was just great!
I also loved Ivy&Karen's duet on "Cheers (drink to that)"

Cheers (drink to that)
 
Smash doesn't stop surprising you, for example when they had a great Bolliwood moment!!

Here are some pictures from the show:

                                                Karen


 
Ivy

 
 
                                         Tom and Julia


                                                                          Derek



                                                                       Eileen

                                                              
                                          Michael (Ok, I just love him!!)


 
                                                          Dev (Karen's boyfriend)


                                                     Karen and Ivy as Marilyn
 
                                                                         The Cast

If you love musical theatre as I do I'm sure you'll love this show!
Now we just have to wait until season 2 comes out..I can't wait!

Also,I would love "Bombshell" to become a real musical and to be staged on Broadway!

So, do you like Smash? Are you team Ivy or team Karen?
I honestly can't say:I guess I was team Karen at first,but then something changed in me..I might be team Ivy :)

Thank you for listening and staty tuned!

H.

No comments: